Main School Newletter
Silverhill Weekly Newsletter 10/11/2017
- Year 3 & 4 will be swimming at 1pm on Monday 13th November
- There will be a FOSS meeting at 7:30pm on Tuesday 14th November
- Year 5 will be having a new group photograph on Wednesday 15th November Please ensure correct uniform is worn.
- Year 1 will be swimming at 1pm on Friday 17th November
- Reception- Reception have been recapping on all the phonics covered so far and completing the first Read Write Inc assessment this week. In Mathematics the children have been looking at symmetry and patterns in number such as odds and evens. We have also looked at PowerPoint slides about Guy Fawkes and Remembrance Day.
- Year 1 – Have watched a very interesting clip related to Remembrance Day. It enabled them to hear the memories of a World War One veteran. They created their own fields of poppies using their thumbs and little fingers. They are very proud of their work. We have continued to look at Paddington Bear, this week concentrating on describing the characters. In maths we have been looking at addition and ordinal vocabulary. Our Christmas Play practices have begun!
- Year 2- Have had another busy week. On Monday we made sparkling Firework pictures which are shimmering beautifully in one of the classrooms! We also learnt about Guy Fawkes and the events leading up to Bonfire Night. The children then sequenced the story elements to retell the historic event. We have also been learning about Remembrance Sunday and the significance of wearing a poppy this week. What an historic week!
- Year 3- Have been learning about Frequency tables, Tally bundles and Bar Charts this week in Numeracy. They have been finding out what types of jobs need to collect different types of data from Birds Eye Peas to Clarke’s shoes! On Friday they are going to taste a selection of different flavour crisps and then draw their own bar chart! In Drama they will be continuing with their character work with Dickens’s novel Oliver Twist. We will also be carrying on with learning Lionel Bart’s song ‘Consider Yourself.’
- Year 4- In Science we have started their new topic on sound and investigating how sound is made by various musical instruments.
- Year 5- We have been studying Scandinavia during Geography this term, and enjoyed a food tasting session where we all tried delicacies from Sweden, Denmark and Norway. Some were even brave enough to try the pickled Herring, although the Scandinavian sweets were definitely the most popular.
- Year 6- Once again the children excelled in an outstanding Remembrance Day Assembly. We would like to share with you the poem written by Year 6 which featured in the service. All other poetry will be published in the termly newsletter.
Remember Us? By Year 6
We are the children of Silverhill School,
The Children that you protected,
You fought and died for what was right,
We are the children you never rejected.
Thank-you for fighting in the war,
Your courage and bravery saved our lives,
Now we can jump, swim and play,
Because you have sacrificed your lives
You are the soldiers that stood tall and bold,
You are the warriors that never gave up,
So we are free and your story will be told,
The children of Silverhill thank-you all.