Silverhill Weekly Newsletter
Silverhill Weekly Newsletter 24/11/2017
- Year 3 and 4 will be swimming from 1:00pm on Monday 27th November.
- We have a singing assembly at 2:00pm on Wednesday 29th November, all parents are welcome to join us.
- Year 5 and 6 have house matches at 3:00pm on Wednesday 29th November. Parents are welcome to join us.
- KS2 are walking to the Medieval Barn on Friday 1st December at 9:00am for their concert rehearsal.
- Year 1 will be swimming from 1:00pm on Friday 1st December
- Our FOSS Christmas Fayre will be taking place on Saturday 2nd December from 11:00am-2:30pm Please see previous e-mails for further information.
- Silverhill Choir and The Phoenix Wind Band will be performing from 7:30pm at Christ the King Church, Bradley stoke. This is a ticket only event.
- The school has been informed that there will be an increase in the movement of heavy equipment on Swan Lane due to the relief sewer works. Please take care when leaving the site. At this point, we are unclear how long with will continue, but we will keep you advised as far as possible.
- Reception- have been learning about the Christmas story through an assembly, sequencing pictures and writing labels to match the pictures. The children are also busy practising for the Nativity play. The children continue to work on all the phonics covered so far as well as consolidating their skills in Mathematics
- Year 1- have been working in teams this week re-calling facts about Winnie the Pooh. They worked collaboratively to write down as many facts as they could to share with the class. The amount of information they gathered amazed us! In numeracy the children have been exploring numbers and they are in the middle of a dominoes investigation. In science we have looked at the changes in the seasons and as part of this, on Monday, we will be sending home a Weather Chart. Please encourage your child to fill it in at home and bring it back with their spelling books the following Monday.
- Year 2- have been busy this week learning about the History of Dolls and the different materials used to make them. In maths we have been looking at 2D shapes and weighing. The children enjoyed weighing a variety of objects from around the classroom. We have all been working hard on our Nativity, practising the songs and learning our lines. Please could your child make time to learn their lines this weekend if they have any.
- Year 3- In Maths the children have been exploring right angles and discussing the sorts of jobs people might do which involve using right angles. It has been fun looking at compass points and finding locations on maps. We have finished our Internet Safety sessions in our Computing lessons and the children have been very excited to be introduced to the basics of MS Word. In English we are exploring ‘dictionaries’ and how to use them. Looking up random words is a super way to encourage your child’s mastery of the alphabet, not to mention spellings and vocabulary in general. You could encourage your child to a timed game of ‘Let’s find the word…’!
- Year 4- have been working hard on their bar charts and pictograms for Maths and in Science they have been learning about instruments and how they make their sounds. Thank you for all the tombola gifts.
- Year 5- Mrs Cooke’s Maths group have been working on Time and Angles.
- Year 6- In Maths we have been brushing up on long multiplication skills. Mrs Davis’ maths group have been learning about Metric conversions. Both Mrs Cooke and Mrs Davis are impressed with the effort all the children are applying to Maths.