Silverhill Weekly News 03/11/2017
- Year 5 & 6 will be swimming at 1pm on Monday 6th November.
- The Autumn term parent forum meeting will take place at 6:30 on Tuesday 7th November in the school dining room. Please forward any comments to your form representative.
- We will be holding our remembrance service at 10:30am in the main hall on Thursday 9th November.
- Year 2 and Reception will be swimming at 1pm on Friday 10th November.
- Reception – Reception have been introduced to the phonic sounds ng – a thing on a string, and nk – I think I stink. In Mathematics the children enjoyed a variety of Halloween activities looking at patterns, positional language, counting and missing numbers. The children have enjoyed making paper pumpkins 🎃 and painting their clay dinosaurs.
- Year 1- We have thoroughly enjoyed participating in Halloween activities which included dot to dots, word searches and colour by numbers. We will be looking at Paddington Bear over the next two weeks and have introduced the first episode where the Browns meet Paddington. Number work has included addition and subtraction. We have also looked at firework safety with regard to Bonfire Night.
- Year 2– We have had a very busy week. In Maths we have been learning about money – i.e. identification of coins and making amounts using different coins. We had a lovely, interesting afternoon listening to Mrs Trew talking about old toys. The children enjoyed playing with the toys afterwards and began to understand that much fun can be had with toys which are not run by batteries!
- Year 3- We are starting Drama this week and looking at character work with Rich and Poor people from Dickens ‘Oliver.’ They will start with the ‘Shortest Straw,’ script and go on to the ‘Funeral Parlour,’ sketch later. We will also learn and sing Lionel Bart’s ‘Consider Yourself.’ In English the children are identifying the parts of a ‘Recount,’ and will be detailing particular events from their half term holiday. In PHSE we are beginning a new topic called ‘Getting on and Falling Out,’ to address friendship issues.
- Year 5- We have been measuring and estimating angles. They spent the morning in the IT suite on Thursday using What’s My Angle? All the children worked incredibly hard.
- Year 6- Year 6 have been working on Fractions this week. They all enjoyed it thoroughly and found it lots of fun! Both Year 5 and 6 have been revising the Metric conversions they must know. Both year groups have had two tests on this and done really well. Please remind your children to revisit these facts regularly so ensure they remember them.