Weekly News and Events
Weekly News and Forthcoming Events – 23/02/2018
- Year 3 and 4 will be swimming on Monday 26th February.
- Several Year 5 girls will be holding a Cakes for Cancer sale on Monday 26th February. Maximum spend £3.
- The Year 6 Bikeability Training will continue on Tuesday 27th February.
- The tag rugby match versus St Michael’s for Year 3 and 4 due to take place on Tuesday 27th February has been changed to Tuesday 6th March.
- The Parent Forum meeting will be held at 6:30pm on Tuesday 27th February in the dining room.
- World Book day is on Thursday 1st March.
- Year 2 Scooter training is on Friday 2nd March.
- Year 1 will be swimming on Friday 2nd March.
- 16 children from Years 3-6 will be competing at the Tockington Manor Cross Country Relays in the afternoon on Friday 2nd March. Approximate time of return 16.30
- Today’s ‘Wear a Hat’ day raised an amazing £210.12 for Brains for Bristol, Brain Tumour Reseach. Thank you for your continued support in our fundraising efforts.
- Reception- Have been introduced to ‘ou – shout it out’ and ‘oy – toy for a boy’ in phonics. In Mathematics the children have been looking at more and less and ordinal numbers. To celebrate Chinese New Year we have made dragons and monkey drums. This year’s Reception children were born in the year of the dragon or year of the snake. Our World Book Day theme for 1st March is Winnie the Pooh. The children may dress up as a character from a Winnie the Pooh story if they wish.
- Year 1- We hope you all had a very relaxing and peaceful Half Term. Science has been very ‘hands on’ this week, as the children have been experimenting and exploring forces to include push, pull and twist. They have also been investigating the effects of different strengths of forces, for example a soft or a hard pull. In Literacy we have been compiling a class Acrostic Poem related to the current Space topic and the children have been writing their names in Alien language! Next week is World Book week, in case you didn’t know our theme is Roald Dahl.
- Year 2- Have been recapping making 10,20 and 100 using 2 numbers only and playing games to help learn these. They have also been practicing their calculation skills. We have also been playing Beatrix Potter characters for a display and have enjoyed reading many of her stories. In science the children have been learning about properties of different materials.
- Year 3- Are starting RE this half term. They will be looking at the importance to Christians of Shrove Tuesday and Lent. I.T lessons continue and this half term we are going to be adding images to text. The children are looking forward to these sessions! In PSHE we have started a new topic about ‘Bullying’ the children have worked in small groups to act out scenes to help them understand what real bullying is. In Art we are finishing off our sculptures.
- Year 4- Have settled in well and have all come back to school healthy and ‘raring to go’ In English the children have been looking at book reviews and are working their own of ‘The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe’ They have been practicing for World Book Day and enjoyed wearing their hats today. Please Note: Our trip to the Medieval Barn on Wednesday 28th February has been postponed until the building is finished.
- Year 5 and 6 – Both Years have settled well after Half Term. In Year 6 we have been looking at reasoning word problems. In Year 5 we have looked at Area, Perimeter and Volume. Both year groups have been working very hard in preparation for World Book Day.